Facebook badge

youtube badge

flickr badge

Tibetan teenager dies after self-immolation PDF Print E-mail
[24 February 2012] A Tibetan teenager died on 19 February after setting fire to himself in protest against China's brutal regime. The incident, which took place in the Ngaba region of eastern Tibet, is the 22nd to have taken place in the past 12 months.

Eighteen year old Nangdrol set fire to himself at 2pm on 19 February outside Dzamthang Jonang monastery, in Dzamtang county, Ngaba Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture in eastern Tibet (Sichuan province). During his protest Nangdrol was heard to shout May His Holiness the Dalai Lama live 10,000 years and Freedom for Tibet. Nangdrol died at the scene.

Chinese security forces attempted to take away Nangdrol's body but were prevented from doing so by local monks. The body was taken to Dzamthang Jonang monastery where traditional prayers and rituals were performed. Over a thousand local Tibetans gathered for a vigil for Nangdrol at the monastery during the evening of 19 February.

Due to communication restrictions imposed by the Chinese authorities it has not yet been verified if Nangdrol is a former monk or lay-person.

Nangdrol is the 10th Tibetan confirmed to have self-immolated in Tibet this year. He becomes the 15th Tibetan to have died of the 22 Tibetans confirmed to have self-immolated since March 2011.

The Chinese authorities have increased security in Dzamthang following protests in late January. On 26 January Chinese police opened fire on a crowd of Tibetan protestors in Barma town, killing one Tibetan and injuring several others.

Further reading: ICT I RFA I TCHRD
I Take Action

Monk on government's monastery committee self-immolates

Damchoe SangpoDamchoe Sangpo (pictured right), a 40 year-old monk, self-immolated on 17 February near to Bongtak monastery in Themchen county, Qinghai province. Sangpo, aged around 40, died at the scene. The whereabouts of his body are unknown.

Radio Free Asia has reported a source as saying that the protest, which took place at around 6am local time, coincided with monks leaving morning prayers. Sangpo is reported to have died at the scene.

Sangpo had previously objected to the heightened security presence and the prevention of an annual religious gathering marking the Tibetan New Year at his monastery. He supposedly told security forces that, if they did not leave the monastery, the monks would not be responsible for any unrest the Chinese presence caused.

Damchoe Sangpo tutored the Bongtak monks in religious texts and was also a member of the monasterys Democratic Management Committee, a government initiative charged with the running of the monastery. Radio Free Asia quotes a source as saying Sangpo was a highly responsible person.

Security around the monastery had been high since the Tibetan New Year and is now at an unprecedented level. It is believed that all communication channels have been blocked.

Further reading: ICT I RFA I TCHRD
I Take Action

Tibet Society, the worlds first Tibet support group, was founded in 1959. Funded by its members, it has been working for over 50 years to seek justice for Tibet through parliamentary lobbying, campaigns and actions. Help keep Tibet alive by joining Tibet Society today. (Annual membership 24; Overseas 36; Life 500).

Image Click here to join
Click here to support

< Prev   Next >

© 2018 Tibet Society
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
Template Design by