Facebook badge

youtube badge

flickr badge

Five further self-immolations bring total to 28 during November PDF Print E-mail
[5 December 2012] The last four days of November saw five Tibetans self-immolate in Tibet. As with previous self-immolations, they all are understood to have been in protest against Chinas repressive policies. Two of the protests took place outside Chinese government offices and at least four of the Tibetans shouted political slogans during their protests. November 2012 has seen the largest number of self-immolations (28) in a single month since this form of protest began in Tibet in February 2009.

Kalsang Kyab I Sangay Tashi I Bendey KharTsering Namgyal I Kunchok Kyab
Take Action Background to self-immolations

Kalsang Kyab (27 November 2012)
Kalsang KyabOn 27 November, at approximately 6:30pm local time, Kalsang Kyab set fire to himself in front of a local government office in Kangtsa township in Dzoge (Ch: Ruanggui) county in Ngaba (Ch: Aba) prefecture, Amdo (incorporated into China's Sichuan province).

During his protest, Kalsang, a 24 year-old nomad, poured kerosene over his body and walked towards the government building shouting slogans. Once outside the government building, Kalsang lit his body on fire whilst continuing to call for the long life of the Dalai Lama and Kirti Rinpoche (the exiled head of Kirti monastery). He died at the scene. After the protest, Kalsangs body was taken by local Tibetans to Dowa Mege village to be blessed by monks from a nearby monastery.

Since the protest there has been an influx of military forces into the Kangsta area, security tightened and communication channels blocked, with phone lines cut or no longer working. Some Tibetans are believed to have gone into hiding.

Kalsang left his nomadic camp on 26 November to travel to Dowa Megey village and then on to Kangtsa township. A few days before his protest, Kalsang apparently told some of his friends about his plans to self-immolate, which at the time they did not take seriously. Known to be a kind, quiet and gentle individual, Kalsang was the third of six sons from a nomadic family.

This self-immolation is the 86th since February 2009 and the 24th self-immolation this month (November 2012). This is the first self-immolation in Kangsta township.

Further reading: RFA I TCHRD I VOA I Phayul
Warning: The Phayul report contains a graphic image of the self-immolation.

Sangay Tashi (27 November 2012)
Sangay TashiLate in the evening of 27 November Sangay Tashi set himself on fire on the main street of Sangkong town, Labrang (aka Sangchu) county, (Ch: Xiahe), Kanlho (Ch: Gannan) prefecture, Amdo (part of Chinas Gansu province). During his protest, which took place at about 11pm, Sangay shouted slogans calling for the return of the Dalai Lama to Tibet and the release of all Tibetan political prisoners, including the Panchen Lama. Sangay died at the scene and his body was taken to a nearby house.

According to various sources, 18 year-old Sangay arrived in Sangkong town early on 27 November with some friends. Before his protest, Sangay called his brother to tell him about his plans to self-immolate but hung up the phone before his brother could answer. By the time his family arrived in Sangkhong, Sangay had died. Sangay was from a family of five children from Sangkhong Ngyulre village in Labrang county.

Sangays self-immolation was the second to take place in Sangkong town. Thubwang Kyab died after a self-immolation protest in the main street of Sangkong on 25 October 2012.

Further reading:  Phayul I VOA I TCHRD I RFA

Bendey Khar (28 November 2012)
Bendey KharOn 28 November at 7pm (local time, Bendey Khar (also referred to as Wande Khar) set himself on fire in Tsoe (Ch: Hezuo) county, Kanlho (Ch: Gannan) prefecture, Amdo (now incorporated into Gansu province). According to sources quoted by Phayul, during his protest Bendey, 21, shouted slogans calling for the return of His Holiness the Dalai Lama to Tibet, the release of Panchen Lama, freedom for Tibet, and the protection of Tibets environment. Bendey died later, succumbing to his injuries.

Following his death, monks and laypeople gathered at Bendeys home in Yarki Sokdhi village to offer prayers and pay their respects to Bendey and his family. Bendey is survived by his parents and two siblings.

Further reading:

Tsering Namgyal (29 November 2012)
Tsering NamgyalFather of two, Tsering Namgyal self-immolated on 29 November outside a local government office in Luchu (Ch: Luqu) county, Kanlho (Ch: Gannan) prefecture, Amdo (part of Chinas Gansu province). According to sources quoted by TCHRD, Tsering, 31, shouted slogans against the repressive policies of the Chinese government. Tsering died at the scene.

After the protest, Tserings body was taken to his home in Samtsa Lotso Dewa, Luchu county. Many people came to pay their respects, including monks from Rabgyeling and Mogru monasteries who conducted traditional rituals.

Tserings protest is the third self-immolation to have taken place in the Luchu area in a week. On 22 November Tamding Kyab self-immolated near a river and four days later Gonpo Tsering set fire to himself in front of the main prayer hall at Ala Deugo monastery. Following this series of self-immolations, the authorities have deployed a large number of military personnel in the Luchu region and its inhabitants are being put under increased restrictions.

Further reading: Phayul I TCHRD
Warning: The Phayul report contains a graphic image of the self-immolation

Kunchok Kyab (30 November 2012)
Kunchok KyabOn 30 November at 9am local time Kunchok Kyab, set himself on fire near a gas station, 10km from Shagdom township, Dzoge (Ch: Ruanggui) county, Ngaba (Ch: Aba) prefecture, Amdo (incorporated into China's Sichuan province). Shortly after the protest, Chinese security personnel arrived, doused the flames and took Kunchok to a hospital in the prefectural capital, Barkham (Ch: Maerkang).

A group of young Tibetans, who pursued the Chinese security personnel vehicles after witnessing Kunchoks protest, subsequently disappeared. It is feared they have been detained. Later the same day, a crowd gathered to demand the return of Kunchok and the release of the young Tibetans.

Kunchok died on 1 December in Barkham hospital, succumbing to his injuries. According to a source quoted by Phayul, his family only received a portion of his ashes. Following the news of his death, many people visited Kunchoks family home to pay their respects and offer condolences. Kunchok was a 29 year-old father of two, from a nomadic family in Akyi township, Dzoge county, Ngaba.

There is no further information on the whereabouts or well-being of the group of young Tibetans. Communications to the region are restricted, though it is understood tensions are mounting.

Further reading: 30 Nov TCHRD I RFA I Phayul  3 Dec TCHRD I Phayul
Take Action  I  Background to self-immolations

Tibet Society, the worlds first Tibet support group, was founded in 1959. Funded by its members, it has been working for over 50 years to seek justice for Tibet through parliamentary lobbying, campaigns and actions. Help keep Tibet alive by joining Tibet Society today. (Annual membership 24; Overseas 36; Life 500).

Image Click here to join
Click here to support

< Prev   Next >

© 2018 Tibet Society
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
Template Design by