Facebook badge

youtube badge

flickr badge

Family ordered to lie following self-immolation; five detained PDF Print E-mail
[24 June 2015] A Tibetan mother of two died after self-immolating on 27 May in eastern Tibet. Her protest included calls for human rights and freedom for Tibet. Subsequently, the Chinese authorities have detained two family members and three monks. The authorities have also ordered the family to lie about her death. The family were denied a traditional funeral.

Sangye Tso[24 June 2015] UPDATE: The husband of self-immolator Sangye Tso has been detained by the Chinese authorities. Tamding Wangyal was arrested on 10 June along with a local monk, Trinley Gyatso. No official reason has been given for the arrests but local sources say they are in connection with Sangye Tso's self-immolation on 27 May.

Five Tibetans have now been detained in relation to the self-immolation, two family members, one of whom is a monk, and three other monks. Sangye's nephew and monk, Tenzin Soepa, was detained on 28 May. Two monks, Samten Gyatso and Lobsang Tenzin, were arrested on 4 and 5 June respectively. All four detained monks are from Tashi Choekhorling monastery, located in the same township (Dokhog) as the self-immolation took place.

In recent years, the Chinese authorities have arrested numerous Tibetans related to self-immolators or with perceived connections to self-immolators protests, as an apparent deterent. In December 2012, China's Supreme Court introduced a new law of "intentional homicide" for authorities to apply to those considered to have helped, aided or abetted self-immolations. Dozens of Tibetans have been jailed under the new charge, with sentences ranging from two years to life imprisonment. The first Tibetan charged under the new law, Lobsang Kunchok, received a suspended death sentence. In most, if not all, there has been a lack of due process.

Sources: PhayulTCHRD

Sangye Tso[5 June 2015] Sangye Tso (pictured right, also referred to as Sangyal Tso) set herself ablaze around 4am local time on 27 May in front of a government office located within Tashi Choekorling monastery in Dortok township (pictured below), Chone (Chinese: Zhuoni) county, Kanlho (Ch: Gannan) Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Amdo (now part of China's Gansu province). The 36 year-old mother of two died at the scene.

According to Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy (TCHRD), immediately prior to her protest, Sangye placed a portrait of the Dalai Lama and a bunch of incense sticks outside the gates of the local government office. Slogans had been written on the portrait, including "Long Live His Holiness the Dalai Lama", "Freedom for Tibet" and "Human Rights for Tibet".

Sangye is also understood to have sent a message via the instant messaging service WeChat just before self-immolating, at around 3.30am. However, due to a communications blackout imposed by the Chinese authorities the content of the message is not known.

Dortok townshipThe location of the self-immolation was significant as, according to a source quoted by International Campaign for Tibet, it is "symbolic to locals of policies of injustice against Tibetans, as well as the main offices used to enforce the crackdown against protests in 2008".

After the self-immolation, Sangye's body was taken by local police to Tsoe city, the capital of Kanlho prefecture. Police were deployed to her home and her family ordered not to discuss the self-immolation with others and to lie about the death by saying it was from natural causes. Further reports indicate Tsos parents were confined to their home and questioned in the aftermath of the self-immolation.

On 28 May, the ashes of Sangye were returned to her family. By cremating the body, the Chinese authorities denied the family a traditional funeral.

Also on 28 May, Tenzin Soepa, a nephew of Sangye, was detained by the local authorities. No official reason was given for the detention, however, local sources told TCHRD he has been made a scapegoat as part of the crackdowns on self-immolation protests. Tenzin is studying as a monk at Tashi Choekorling monastery. His current condition and whereabouts are not known.

Sangye Tso's self-immolation is the fifth to take place this year, and 140th overall inside Tibet. (Some reports refer to 141 self-immolations, which include the self-immolation of a Tibetan in Beijing in 2012. Six Tibetans in exile are also known to have self-immolated.)

Further reading: TCHRD I ICT I RFA

Take Action  I  Background to self-immolations

Tibet Society, the worlds first Tibet support group, was founded in 1959. Funded by its members, it has been working for over 50 years to seek justice for Tibet through parliamentary lobbying, campaigns and actions. Help keep Tibet alive by joining Tibet Society today. Annual membership 24; Family 36; Life 500.
ImageJoin Tibet Society I Donate
More details about membership
< Prev   Next >

© 2018 Tibet Society
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
Template Design by